- To control, harmonise, monitor and integrate the progress of tasks in Work Packages 2 to 7 in order to achieve the objectives and complete the milestones and deliverables in time, as well as to maintain coherence of the total project.
- To ensure decent project, contractual and financial sound administration so that the Consortium administrative, contractual and financial duties are carried out
- To set up and maintain an effective communication infrastructure
- To ensure scientific and technical quality in research, development and dissemination.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK AND ROLE OF PARTNERS
The WATCHME project management is carried out by the UU, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (sub Partner 1.1) and Maastricht University (Partner 8). It concerns integration and coordination of all work packages to ensure a consistent and persisting technological and scientific research infrastructure, as well as quality control and risk management. The Steering Committee is responsible for strategic management. The Project Coordinator (PC) is responsible for daily operational management. She is supported by an office who gives administrative support to legal, financial and ethical matters. Maastricht University takes responsibility of the coordination of the technical WPs 3, 4 and 5.
Task 1.1 Overall Project Management Overall project management concerns: i) project management, ii) administrative, contractual and financial management and iii) communication management.
- i) Strategic coordination of the project is in hands of the Steering Committee that will be installed at the start
of the project. They steer management decisions concerning inter-work package issues (e.g. co-sharing of procedures, data and instrumentation). The PC chairs the Steering Committee and is in charge of operational management. She will draft a project management plan that includes a detailed work plan that guides reporting and management procedures. This is to include the WATCHME Data Protection and Ethical Compliance Assurance reporting consistent with the WATCHME Data Protection and Ethical Compliance Policy Framework Document to be implemented from the outset of the project. This requires that the Coordinator shall compile the ethical compliance assurance documents for Partners who, per their role in the project, may have to process personal data which at the point of first access is not anonymised. Accordingly these Partners will have to ensure additional local Data Protection and Ethical Compliance overseen by their Data Protection Officer/Controller who will ensure that all Notification, Authorisation and Data Processing logging including informed consent process and data access agreements shall be duly maintained and relevant documentation submitted to the Coordinator at the end of each period. The Coordinator will ensure the appointment of an Ethical Expert Advisor onto the Advisory Board which will meet at least once every period and advise on
such refinements of the Ethical Compliance Assurance processes as it would deem appropriate based on the Framework Policy Implementation Documentation as made available to the Board.
The Coordinator will ensure that the Consortium as a whole, and specific Partners in particular as indicated by the Board, will address any such ethical assurance issues as may be raised by the Board.
- (ii) Contractual, administrative and financial management will be provided by the PC. The PC will be assisted by an administrative office comprising financial, administrative and legal employees. This demands proper project administration and reporting systems. It includes: complying participants with EU regulations, their contractual and legal requirements, carrying out and monitoring contractual duties, monitoring of deviations from the work plan, property rights, IPR management, ethical considerations and securing wide access to results. The PC will draw up progress and financial reports to the EC. This will be done in cooperation with the Steering Committee and assisted by the financial, legal and administrative officers. The project planning and tracking report will be uploaded permanently on the website of the Consortium.
- (iii) This task includes internal communication (between parties via an online collaboration platform such
as SharePoint, Alfresco, etc.) and external communication with the field. A communication protocol will be established and an effective communication structure will be ensured by organising frequent meetings with the Steering Committee (at least every 6 months) and other members of the Consortium to discuss the contract, Consortium agreement, the work and management plans, and other relevant business (e.g. dissemination and exploitation programmes of WP7), as well as progress and results within WPs. Every WP-leader will organise bi-monthly work package meetings (face to face, by means of video conference of by Skype). During this meeting the progress and quality of the tasks are checked and registered. This information is fed back to the Steering Committee.
Task 1.2 Scientific and Technical Project Quality and Risk Management. This task comprises coordination of the quality and output of scientific research and technical development to ensure a high standard of scientific and technical milestones and deliverables. This task provides ongoing scientific and technical steering and overview to the participants. This is important to ensure that diverse strands of research, implementation and outreach share a common scientific, technological and architectural approach throughout all WPs. Second it includes a procedure for risk management, coordination of scientific work within the Consortium.